Rite of Passage

 

Featured post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Today is Mahalaya, a very auspicious for people who follow the Hindu way of life and philosophy. The Pitru Pakhsha, whose literal translation from Sanskrit means “fortnight of the ancestors” ends on this day and is marked as a day when men perform a rite called “tarpan”. I remember from my childhood when offerings were made to our deceased ancestors by my father. I always interpreted this as an opportunity to remember and express our gratitude to those who have left this world.

I, not having a lot of trust on purity of the Ganges and faith on the mantras chanted by today’s priests, prefer to remember my father in solitude…..within the confine of my home……..inside me. I do not believe much in the pomp & show and would love to stick to the basics in most occasions but there are many who would beg to differ!!

Extravagant celebrations when children are born, their birthdays and weddings are not uncommon these days but the new motto of life for many seems to be “live lavishly, go out extravagantly”

Many among the rich, powerful and famous are considering the “rite of passage” as the final opportunity to flaunt their immense wealth. Their rite of passage are competing with weddings and birthdays. People are opting for gold plated coffins, Rolls-Royce hearses and at times flying guests to exotic locales for destination funerals.
This article might shake your foundation while giving a new meaning for life and maybe a new goal for Death….


Comments

  1. People like to showoff. My friend used to believe if I cannot show my money what good it is? Society is a mix of people. Some want to remember in dignified silence within their own mind. Others want to show the world that they have arrived. Eventually, the child within grows up. May be in coming births, they Will behave in a proper way, if they get the right opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maa Tripureswari

A Time pass post

Who Kills Our Creativity?