A thought for Collectors

People say that every good action of a man comes back to him multiplied several times more. Something similar happened to me last week. I used to collect postage stamps as a hobby when I was a kid. When time came to leave home for college, I somewhat detached myself form my worldly possessions and handed them over the stamp album to my kid brother. Soon it was his turn to leave home he handed them over to one of his juniors and thus the collection left our home.
Old habits die hard- that’s what they say! A decade later I restarted my hobby of stamp collection. Not as actively as before but as passionately as ever. One close friend of mine recently decided to hang up his gloves and give up hobby as well as his collection. This doesn’t interest my son and daughter, he said. So he asked me if I would take it over. I was overwhelmed and more than eager to give his collection a new home. Last week I received the first batch of his lovely collection and it made me smile to say the least. I put all my work and papers aside as I gazed through those lovely pieces of paper like a kid!
I belong to a generation where there were many things to collect. We had the craving to collect stuff partly because the abundance of today was not to be seen during those days and nor were everything for sale in the mart. Alongside postage stamps, I also collected currency notes, coins and calling cards.
I wonder what will the new generation collect. What will be their hobbies and what will they exchange. How can they learn that there are certain things that one cannot buy form the super market? They have to trade something they have extra to get something that they want to add to his collection.
As it stands today, even emails are considered backdated with the popularity of social networking rising with each passing moment. So getting a letter by general post is nothing less than a dream come true. I will not blame my friend’s children if they stamp collection does not interest them. With everyone having a mobile in his hand, even calling cards are now rare and invisible. Currency notes and coins are still an option even though European Union had a big dent in the number.

But what will the new generation collect? Digital imageries and programs! or to create some postage stamps of your own like I did....
If you are a collector of Artworks, Antiques & Collectibles, a collection of vintage cars would be a great idea  if one could afford!
What about The Common Man!


Comments

  1. yes, what will the future cherish of our day?


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, vintage cars...now wouldn't that be something? We had one in our collection...I don't suppose it counts if there aren't at least two, does it...and sold it at Christmas time as we had no time to give it the love it deserved. It went to a really good home though and made someone very happy. I was never much of a collector although my husband still has his stamp collection! There are some pretty old stamps in there, I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am a collector too.;) I used to collect chewing gum wrappings, napkins, coins and stamps as a child.;) You know I still have some of these collections to this day. I also collect things unwillingly; just when I see the boxes in my basement I get nervous.;)
    I agree with you, these days collections are rare. It could be due to the electronic era, but perhaps also as everything is so easily obtainable.
    Love all the stamps here, what a lovely way of taking over a pristine collection,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your post, though I am not much of a collector myself. But many of my friends are and my kids love collecting and trading stamps and stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful stamps. Even now I collect them. But, I am not able to devote much time to them now. You are very luck and your good deed has certainly multiplied.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maa Tripureswari

A Time pass post

Who Kills Our Creativity?