Thursday, August 6, 2026

A Bottle of Happiness

 writing in response to Friday Writings #239: Down to the Bone


An ornate glass bottle decorated with intricate patterns recovered from the sea and preserved as a symbol of hope, happiness, and messages carried across distant shores.


Epigraph

When joy fills our hearts, we long to share it with others. Yet happiness, too, should unite people, not become a cause of division.




Sometimes I feel happy,
So happy that I want to share it
With someone unknown,
Someone very far away,
On the other side of the sea.

I wish I could gather that feeling,
Place it inside a bottle,
Seal it carefully,
Whisper a message of hope,
Before casting it into the sea.

Perhaps one day
It will wash upon a distant shore,
Into the hands of a stranger—
A princess or a pauper—
Who needs it more than I do.

They may uncork it with a smile,
Listen to my whisper,
Or simply feel an unexpected warmth,
And, for no reason they can name,
Be happier than I felt.


Then I wonder...
A strange thought, isn't it?
The happiness we long to share
May become the very thing
People quarrel over-
A bone of contention.

9 comments:

  1. Very cleverly done. I love the inner message of the poem irrespective of the "bone of contention".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. It has made me realise that this is what I do with my music production record label. Nice write Suman 👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting twist at the end. Yes, indeed, our goodwill sometimes doesn't translate well in distant seas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I enjoyed the suspense of wondering whether and how this was going to relate to the "bone" theme...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this piece felt like a bottle of happiness... and I didn't have to fight a princess to get it! Joy is best when shared either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the generosity - maybe here we share those bottles of thoughts and happiness - I hope so - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sit in the middle of the state of Oregon, a mere four miles from the Pacific Ocean ... where I am certain to find your bottle, your message. Also certain you will feel my smile from wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of bottled happiness. Hope it brings joy to the finder, and the sender!

    ReplyDelete

Thought Provoking

Territories

  Today, while driving to work, I saw a small bird chasing another along the road verge. It was a brief, almost comic scene — wings flutteri...